Living costs

To get a general overview on living costs including housing you should visit the two sites below:


Make sure that you have a good insurance coverage for your stay in Sweden. Consult your insurance company to discuss if additional insurance is needed for your stay in Sweden.

All students in Sweden who are registered on a university course or programme are automatically covered by the personal injury insurance (the general student insurance) that is obtained on behalf of universities and colleges within the State insurance system by the Central Student Grants Committee. This insurance applies in Sweden during education hours and during travel to and from the location where education hours are located. For more information on terms and conditions, please visit the web site of Kammarkollegiet.

All exchange students are also covered by the Swedish State Insurance for Foreign Students in Sweden (Student IN). 

For students doing modules at the Department of Human Geography that contain field courses abroad (out of Sweden) the Department take out individual insurances for the field periods at Kammarkollegiet; the Swedish State’s Insurance during Education Abroad (Student UT).

If you are an EU citizen, you should bring your European health insurance card, which you can obtain from the social insurance office in your home country. This entitles you to public medical service on the same financial conditions as Swedish citizens.

If you are a citizen from outside the EU, you need to find out to what extent your domestic insurance is valid in Sweden and what agreements for medical care there is between your country and Sweden.

In the Handbook for exchange students you will find additional advice. There you will also find general information on health.


Students with disabilities are welcome to Stockholm University. Arrangements for the exchange will be agreed on before nomination from the home university.

Visa and residence permit

If you need a residence permit please consult the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your country for rules on visas and residence permits or contact the Swedish Migration Agency. You should apply for a residence permit as soon as you have got the letter of acceptance from Stockholm University.

Students from the EU/EEA and the Nordic countries do not need a visa or a residence permit. However, EU citizens staying in the country for more than 3 months need to register with the Swedish Migration Agency no later than three months after entering the country. For information on how to register see the web site of the Migration Agency. Even though Sweden is part of the Schengen area it is advised that you bring a valid passport as well as an identity card for your stay in Sweden.