Applicants from countries outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay both an application fee and tuition fees for all studies.

Total tuition fee in SEK (Swedish kronor) for two academic years
Master's Programme in Human Geography 180,000
Master's Programme in Urban and Regional Planning 240,000
Master's Programme in Globalization, Environment and Social Change 180,000


The scholarship scheme at Stockholm University is aimed at especially qualified students coming from countries outside of the EU, the EEA and Switzerland and who are required to pay tuition fees for studies.

The Swedish Institute Study Scholarships target highly-qualified students from specific countries. The scholarships will be awarded for master’s studies in Sweden, starting in autumn and covers both living costs and tuition fees.

Since there are few scholarship at Stockholm University and the Swedish Institute you are advised to also investigate what scholarships are available for you via your current home university and other governmental, non governmental, private and international organisations.

Visa requirements

In order to get a residence permit for studies students must show that they have enough money to support themselves throughout the entire planned study period.

If you need a residence permit please consult the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your country for rules on visas and residence permits or contact the Swedish Migration Board. You should apply for a residence permit as soon as you have got the acceptance from Stockholm University. You can probably apply online.

Students from the EU, the EEA and the Nordic countries do not need a visa or a residence permit. However, EU citizens staying in the country for more than 3 months need to register with the Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country. For information on how to register see the web site of the Swedish Migration Board. Even though Sweden is part of the Schengen area it is advised that you bring a valid passport as well as an identity card for your stay in Sweden.