The Geo-Science Building is situated at Frescati – the Stockholm University main campus – in the City of Stockholm.

The campus at North Djurgården in Stockholm is part of the Royal National City Park. The varied landscape – the wooded hills, open meadows, wetlands, parks, and historical buildings – of Djurgården has largely been spared from urban development and retains much of its character from centuries past. Today the royal domains of North Djurgården provide space for open-air recreation and several big institutions. 

In the early 1970’s the major part of the University relocated from the inner city area around the old Stockholm Observatory in the Observatorielunden hill park and the Odenplan plaza to Frescati – a former agrarian experimental field – where the closest neighbours includes the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, the Swedish Museum of Natural History, and Lappkärrsberget or “Lappis”, the largest student housing area in Stockholm. The oldest campus houses are from about 1800 but most are from the 1970’s, 1980’s and 1990’s.

Today the Stockholm University campus reaches from Sveaplan in the south to the Bergius Botanic Garden in the north. The main library, the administrative and technical units, and most academic departments are by now situated at the Frescati campus.

The latest additions include the Aula Magna (with a 1,200 seats lecture hall) and the Geo-Science Building, both completed in 1997, the AlbaNova University Center, the Stockholm Center for Physics, Astronomy and Biotechnology from 2001, the Studenthuset, comprising study areas for students, the main information desk, other student services, a café, and the Stockholm Student Union office, from 2013, and the NPQ Building, an extension to the Arrhenius laboratories, from 2015.

Current development
The most important on-going development scheme is the Albano campus, south of the main campus at Frescati. In Albano there will be about 100 000 square meter of university premises and 1 000 housing units for students and researchers. The construction started in 2015.